Saturday, December 03, 2005

Reflections

Well, the ISP is done, and we leave Can Tho in about three hours. I can’t believe how much sentiment I have attached to this place. Over the course of the last few days of saying goodbyes and having one more meal at my favorite corner place, I generated a ‘top-ten’ list of the things I have taken for granted and now that I am leaving I realize I am going to miss greatly:
10. The little lizards which cover the walls and ceilings whether it is in exercise class, at home, or at the university. Basically anywhere there are little bugs, there are little lizards and they are real cute.
9. The expressions the Vietnamese use in English. This is primarily due to direct translation, i.e. “meet you again!” for goodbye. But my favorite is when guys compliment each other by calling them “lady-killer”. It’s awesome.
8. Being called beautiful, especially when talking about my nose. Apparently long noses are “in” here. I don’t know if this is something that I have taken for granted, but I am definitely going to miss the daily confidence boost from every older woman I meet on the street.
7. The SEA games going on. I haven’t seen the Vietnamese get more excited about anything else. Last night we couldn’t drive home because Vietnam won the first round of the finals and everyone took to the streets singing the national anthem. (I realize this is a phenomenon found in other countries, in European countries for example. But seeing so many people together celebrating together is awesome no matter where you are.)
6. The rain. The refreshing rain that leaves the streets flooded, and still persists even though we are supposed to be in the dry season.
5. The bike/motorbike culture here, and particularly my bike Rocco. It is just a efficient, space saving way to travel. And seeing how they transport different things around (ice, fish, more than two people, huge poles, you get the idea) is awesome.
4. The tiny plastic stools which are at most street-side eateries. They are maybe 8 inches tall, and seeing 6-foot-tall Helen on them never ceases to crack me up. Which brings me to:
3. The food. Delicious, healthy (minus the copious amounts of sugar), and comfortable. I never thought I would consider a huge bowl of rice noodles and pork or a plate of ‘broken rice’ comforting, but I am going to miss so many of the dishes here. Definately not all the areas for dog meat, though.

2. The kindness of the people. I made friends with this wonderful woman and her family who I buy breakfast from every morning. Then she invited me and all my friends to her house for a delicious lunch, and no longer lets me pay for anything. (The Eshelman tear ducts were in full swing this morning when I said goodbye, let me tell you.) But that is just one story. I had an amazing host family, amazing Vietnamese friends, got invited to cow races by complete strangers, and felt entirely welcome in this country.
1. The four other amazing women (Becca, Helen, Kathryn, and Nathalie) that have been my family for the past three months. I honestly do not think this experience would have been anywhere near as great without them. I have laughed, cried, been frustrated and stressed, more excited than ever, and though it all they have been right there with me. I don't think I will ever be able to tell them how much I fully appreciate that. It turns out, I was greatly aided by the fact that the four other girls were friend-making geniuses.

Wow, and I haven't even mentioned the house outfits or the songs the trucks play when they are backing up (some version of "it's a small world" or happy birthday) or the incense and ancestor shrines everywhere... so I guess there is a lot I will miss.

And, now it’s off to Campuchia. I cannot guarantee internet reliability there, or time to post, so upon return I will give the run-down and post some pictures.

Tam biet~

Julia


Free Web Counter